Old 12-07-2003, 10:44 PM
Anne Lurie

Default Hydrogen peroxide for blackspot spores?

Whoa, Mark, stop!

To the best of my knowledge, hydrogen peroxide is NOT synonymous with
hydrogen dioxide -- any more than carbon monoxide can be equated with
carbon dioxide!!!

Someone help me here with an explanation, it's been 40 years since I took
chemistry in high school!

Anne Lurie
Raleigh, NC

"Mark. Gooley" wrote in message
I saw some product sold as a sort of horticultural disinfectant,
with a mention that it could be sprayed on roses with black spot
as it would kill any live spores on contact. It turned out that it
was "hydrogen dioxide" at a concentration of 27% or so.

Now, as far as I know, that's a synonym for hydrogen peroxide,
and the drugstore stuff can be as cheap as $1 a quart for the usual
3% solution -- about a tenth as strong. So suppose that one put a
pint or quart of the cheap stuff for each gallon capacity of a sprayer,
and diluted it. Spraying it on any live black spot spores (and one
would hope, various other fungal spores, and perhaps some fungal
infestations) would kill them, presumably. Now, it's not a sure cure,
it's not a long-term preventive, but it's certainly cheap and it's

certainly
not toxic. Anyone tried it? Any thoughts?

(After a couple rainy weeks last month, almost every rose I have has
shown SOME black spot, and some have nearly been defoliated. I've
been alternating Daconil and Funginex sprays on a weekly basis. Also,
some of the rugosae have something that looks like rust.)

Mark., north Florida, zone 8b