Old 13-07-2003, 02:44 AM
Daniel Hanna

Default Hydrogen peroxide for blackspot spores?

In Scopata Fuori wrote:
I use Mancozeb (flowable manzate)
but if there is anything out there effective and less toxic, as well
as cheap, I am all for it.

Mancozeb works well, but my God it smells awful. I bet it works on deer
and Japanese beetles too :-)

The range of black spot remedies is getting pretty wide now, overall.
So far I know or have heard of:

* Triforine (systemic)
* Chlorathonil (contact)
* Myclobutanil (a new systemic, showing a lot of promise in Australian
and New Zealand tests)
* Bitertanol (contact - proprietary to Bayer)
* Baking soda mixtures (contact)
* Various oils (contact - I use Pest Oil but white oil and neem are OK)
* Milk spray (contact, works well at 1:5 parts water)
* Lime Sulphur (contact)
* Wettable sulphur (conntact)
* Mancozeb, Mancozeb Plus, Zineb (contact, sulphur based)

Did I miss any?

My favourites are triforine in wet weather, and milk sprays where it's
likely to be fine for several days. In 2004 Yates will be releasing
myclobutanil as a concentrate, and I plan to use that on my roses for
both BS and mildew.