Old 13-07-2003, 11:12 PM
Cass

Default roses for a hedge?

In article , dave weil
wrote:

On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 15:47:19 GMT, "Kellie J. Berger"
wrote:

If you had to pick some roses to make a long hedge (probably w/o a
supporting fence), and wanted something w/o much maintenance, what would
you choose?

If you don't mind a *****defoliating****** arching form, fast growing,
once-blooming, orange/red hipped in the winter, green applely smelling
foliaged, cute litte five lobed pink old rosey bloomed, heavily
armored and densely branched plant, then sweet briar rose is your
man...eh...plant. It's even mentioned in Shakespeare - that's how
venerable it is.

http://mywpages.comcast.net/ddweil2/...riar5.8.03.jpg

BTW, the dimensions in the last shot are 19 feet wide by almost 7 feet
tall (the plant is about 10 feet fromthat facing edge to the opposite
edge - envision an ellipse shape from above).

Oh yeah, here's a closeup of the blooms. Each bloom only lasts about 2
or 3 days, but they grow in groups where one blooms then the others
bloom sequentially. Each bloom is only about 2 inches or so.

http://mywpages.comcast.net/ddweil2/...riarBlooms.jpg

Great shots, Dave. What's the defoliating part mean? I bought Lady
Penzance because I was taken with the sweetbriars. The blackspot put me
off. Is you plant Common Sweet Briar, plain ole plain ole? The foliage
looks terrific. Blackspot?