Old 15-07-2003, 12:52 PM
Frogleg

Default Fences and Lot Lines

On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 10:48:05 -0400, "pixi" wrote:

I need an answer but don't know where to look on the internet. Has anyone
got any ideas about this?

There is about 800 feet of fence between us and a neighbor. The neighbor
recently put up a new fence. When ever a tree had grown up on the lot line
he put the fence on our side thus putting the trees on his side of the
fence. In most cases this meant a foot or more of our property on his side
of the fence.

Have you talked to this neighbor? Not confrontationally, but just
asking about his/her actions? I would, as a lay person, point out that
the property line had been compromised, and even if you didn't care
about those extra feet, later real estate transfers would turn into a
tangle. You might be able to resolve this by agreeing to share the
cost of cutting down the trees involved. He/she might even be trying
to spare you maintenance of the trees. :-) The more peacefully this
can be worked out, the less expensive it will be, IMHO.