Old 15-07-2003, 12:52 PM
Frogleg

Default SOS: Please send rain!

On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 22:33:38 -0600, John DeBoo

Today we are supposed to break the record temp for this date. We will get
to 117!!!
It's miserable out there. I forget in the spring that when it gets this hot
that I no longer want to care for my plants. Just water and get back in the
house!
roz
az usa

Damn, and I thought it was hot here in Albuquerque @ 104º, 1º below
the record high for this date.

Yeah, but what was the humidity? 15%? And wasn't it at least 30
degrees cooler at night? (I grew up in Albuq.) Doesn't perspiration
evaporate and cool you, instead of remaining on the skin like an oil
slick? Isn't it cooler in the shade? Oh, you lucky "dry heat" folk.

Apropos rain, Norfolk (VA) airport reported a record (for the date)
rain of 3.34" yesterday with much street flooding. Local news even
mentioned "flash flood," about which they apparently know little. This
rain uncharacteristically was accompanied by cooler temperatures.
Perhaps because it was long and sustained. Imagine my NM shock the
first time I stepped outdoors after a shower here on a steamy July
afternoon, and discovered that the air was no cooler -- only *wetter*
and more uncomfortable than before.