Old 17-07-2003, 08:42 PM
Mort

Default costs of buying/maintaining a tank

"Christopher" wrote in message
rthlink.net...
I I have a tank for about 6-7 months now and have spent about 4k on it,

I'm
wondering if this is normal or have I been buying too many toys/expensive
stuff for it that is unnecessary? I have a 125gallon tank with a 20gallon
tank underneath it to raise shrimp in. (both tanks acryllic). Can you

guys
list what types of tanks you have and the stuff you have put on them and

the
aproximate amount of money you have spent on them? I don't think
maintaining the tank will be that expensive, probably on the order of
$200-$300 a year (mostly due to bulb replacement 7x20watt, foods,

expensive
fertilizers). I'm more interested in the 'setup' costs associated with a
tank, I'm not sure if I've been buying this stuff at way more than I

should
be paying. Please reply with your info, I'll post a detailed itemization
later.

I have no experience with acryllic tanks as of yet but that still sounds a
bit high.
On the opposite end of the spectrum, check out Dr. Fosters & Smith.

They have way better pricing than what you will find at your LFS.

On a side, how handy are you? I am a Do It Yourselfer kind of guy and I
managed to score a deal on a 180 and set it up for under $1000.00 (Paid
$500.00 for tank, stand, hood, and lights, all brand new... very lucky )

~Mort