Old 17-07-2003, 08:42 PM
Rich Conley

Default costs of buying/maintaining a tank

55 gallon w/ 1/2 " glass and angle iron stand (want ad) $50
75 lbs Southdown Tropical Play Sand $15
Rocks from back yard
$0 1 hour work...
AQ 400 filter and 2 AQ 402 powerheads $70 (Big Al's)
2 X 150 w ebo jager heater
$29 (Big Al's)
2 x Metaframe Stow-away hood (used with tank)
4 x screw in 18w Compact fluorescent Daylight $22 (home depot)
8 X Cynotilapia Afra Cobue
8 x Pseudotropheus Zebra Nkhata bay $96 (both with
shipping...aquabid)
6 X Yellow
Lab $30
Assortment of plants (clippings from r.a.f.p and my 20H) $11
Can of OSI Spirulina, OSI Staple $16
Total
Cost
$339 = $6.16 per gallon

Christopher wrote:

I I have a tank for about 6-7 months now and have spent about 4k on it, I'm
wondering if this is normal or have I been buying too many toys/expensive
stuff for it that is unnecessary? I have a 125gallon tank with a 20gallon
tank underneath it to raise shrimp in. (both tanks acryllic). Can you guys
list what types of tanks you have and the stuff you have put on them and the
aproximate amount of money you have spent on them? I don't think
maintaining the tank will be that expensive, probably on the order of
$200-$300 a year (mostly due to bulb replacement 7x20watt, foods, expensive
fertilizers). I'm more interested in the 'setup' costs associated with a
tank, I'm not sure if I've been buying this stuff at way more than I should
be paying. Please reply with your info, I'll post a detailed itemization
later.