Old 17-07-2003, 09:43 PM
Jeffrey Girard

Default Lighting for a 180Gallon Freshwater tank

Oh, yeah. If you want inexpensive metal halide lighting, don't buy an
"aquarium" setup. Go to a commercial electrical supply outlet and buy some
high bay metal halide pendant lamps. I just bought 4 for my shop. That's
400W each. Total cost: just under $600. And each one puts out about 36000
lumens. The inexpensive luminaries (that's the correct term for the fixture,
ballast and lamp) cost just over US $111 for a 400W fixture. Granted that's
with a 3500K bulb, but a little creative rearranging of the ballast, socket,
reflector and voila! an "aquarium" fixture for a fraction of the price.
Check out
http://www.lithonia.com/Products/Pro... D.%20Lighting
for some lights.

Jeff