Old 17-07-2003, 08:43 PM
Christopher

Default Lighting for a 180Gallon Freshwater tank

that and the fact that MH makes a lot of heat compared to tube florescents
or PC florescents, I read that T-8 bulbs are almost the most efficient
lighting out there...its just impossible to put LOTS of light over a tank
with tubes since they just don't spit out that much light compared to the
same sized MH.

"Jeffrey Girard" wrote in message
m...
Chris,

I only have 175W of lighting over my tank. I've had the same setup for
about 10 years now. The MH kit cost me about $200, including the bulb. I
still use the original. Yeah, I know that they degrade over time, but

175W
is more than I really need anyway. As for operation use, metal halides

are
one of the more efficient light sources, when you consider the cost per

unit
of light output. It's the high initial cost that puts them out of most
people's reach.

As for what I did when I was "poor" (ie a grad student), do a search on

the
Krib for me. I've got a posting from 1992 that describes my pre-MH days.

Jeff

"Christopher" wrote in message
rthlink.net...
can I ask how you guys afford thousands of watts of lighting over a

tank,
not to mention the costs of running pumps and other accessories?