Old 25-01-2003, 04:56 PM
Lee Hall

Default Looking for Red Mortgage Lifter

"Mahasamatman" wrote in message thlink.net...
While it is true that the seeds themselves do not get acclimatized, a
certain amount of genetic drift in a variety is inevitable in spite of the
best efforts at maintainance of varietal purity. If Lee gets seed that was
produced more locally rather than in Maine, it is possible that the strain
will have adapted to the southern climate to some degree.

I do not know for this variety in particular whether there is a common
source of foundation seed used by the commercial growers. If there is, even
if the seed sold at retail is grown out locally from foundation or
registered seed, it is unlikely that much varietal drift could have occured
in two generations. In that case, seed from any source will be largely the
same.

If there are several sources of unrelated foundation seed, which is possible
with an older variety such as this, then each strain may have adapted to the
local conditions where it is maintained. But since tomato seed is not
necessarily grown in the regions where it is sold, there is no guarantee
that seed bought in Tennesee will have been grown closer by than seed bought
from Maine.

--
Sam

"Jo" wrote in message
. cable.rogers.com...

"Lee Hall" wrote in message...
I think I would be pushing my luck trying to grow seeds acclimated to

Maine here in the Tennessee heat
and humidity.

Thanks in advance,
Lee

I really can't see how this would be a problem. Seeds don't get
acclimatized. Certain types of tomatoes will grow better in hot or cool
climates, but the same type of tomato will favour the same growing
conditions.

Jo

I suppose the difference would be whether the supplier in Maine merely
orders their seed from some other commercial suppliers or whether they
harvest seeds from their own field trials. If the latter is the case,
I think it would matter. Anyway, I would rather take my chances
ordering from somewhere the climate isn't so radically different from
here. Being a road construction inspector rather than a botanist, I
can't speak with any scientific authority but I do know that I have
had great success with seeds obtained locally from non-commercial
sources.

I am sure that the part about different varieties thriving in
different areas is correct. I have grown pink, red and black
brandywines which are definitely a northern variety. Here in
Tennessee they are disease prone and not very productive. They do
have a fantastic taste, though, which is why I will still be growing
the black variety. Unfortunately, I still haven't found any strain of
tomato that is resistant to the stifling heat here that also has a
good taste. Jetstar and Heatwave grow okay here but have all of the
taste of cardboard. That is why I am trying Tropic this year.