Old 17-07-2003, 08:45 PM
willis stanley

Default prefilter for UV

1. there's the rub; it's designed for a water filtration system i.e.
human consumption or hydroponics--got it supercheap so it's worth the
experiment. I'll take it apart after a day or so and look for sediment,
corrosion, etc. and see if I can remove the lining. This is fun.

2. no such luck on my unit.

3. concur that's what sounds practical.

In article ,
tose says...
1. the lining of the UV unit is shiny metal. I try to keep metal away
from my aquariums on principle, to the extent that's possible. Since
we're not talking long term use here, is this a problem?

I wouldn't think so. As long as it was designed for use with aquariums, it
should be safe.

2. obviously I can't look inside to see that the lamp is lit, so how do
I tell if it's on?

Usually there's an indicator light that goes on. Mine is right under the
intake/outflow barbs.

3. In terms of killing the floating nasties, there's clearly a point of
diminishing returns beyond which it isn't worth it to continue running
the UV. How long should I run it and how often? 10 hrs. twice a week?
3 hrs. once a week? I can break down and do the math but if there are
any rules of thumb out there, I'd like to hear them.

It's generally recommended that you run them 24/7. That's what I do.

UV sterilizers aren't that efficient. Don't think you'll eliminate all
nasties. You just reduce the concentration.

Leigh