Old 17-07-2003, 08:45 PM
LeighMo

Default BIZARRE - RED CRYPT MELTED over night after two years of growth

I left the back to species but ripped the front central piece out roots and
all. It was taking over. Still seems strange to me that all species would
melt on same day over a 2 year period.

They were probably all responding to the change in fertilizer. That is typical
of crypts; if there's some kind of change in water chemistry, the entire tank
will melt overnight.

What is the name of the central plant on your display with the red leaves. I
might try that one for a centerpiece. I am moving in three months to a house
so I will pretty much leave everything alone for now.

The ones in the center and in the right front corner are Nymphaea daubenyana.
The one a little further back is Nymphaea zenkeri red. It gets a lot bigger
than the daubenyana.

I like Nymphaea. They need more light than Crypts, but are fairly easy to
maintain. Just prune any surface leaves, so they don't shade the tank. They
send out runners, but they don't go far. (Unlike Crypts, that spring up all
over the tank.) The daubenyana continually puts out buds, but so far, none
have actually bloomed.

Leigh