Old 17-07-2003, 09:46 PM
Sherry Michael Weller

Default 10gal. or smaller planted tank?

Yes, it's possible, but it's difficult. See Amano's second book. It features
small planted aquariums, many under a gallon!

Why is it difficult? Mine are easy.

But it's a lot of work. You have to choose plants and fish very carefully.

You also need to do so in a large tank.

You may also find that you need a lot more light per gallon than you would in a
larger tank.

I'm sorry, I don't agree. Unless you have a very tall 2.5 gallon tank,
you need less light in shallow aquaria. I grow low light plants and
medium light stem plants with 8 watts to 6 gallons.

Your choices will be very limited with such a small tank. Amano uses rasboras
and neon tetras in his smallest tanks. Amano shrimp and otocinclus for algae
control. But I'd be really hesitant to keep fish in such a small tank.

A pair of killies would be great in a 2.5 gallon as well as a few of the
above fish mentioned.

And if you are new, I really, really recommend you go with the 10 gallon tank.
The larger the tank, the easier it is to maintain. A small tank is very
unforgiving of mistakes.

I have found that mini tanks are just as 'forgiving' as my old 75 and 45
gallon tanks. I also do fun things to mess with my water chemistry with
peated DI water, etc. Many people inject c02 in 2.5 gallons! I simply
have not seen any proof that smaller tanks that are maintained well and
with intelligence are any harder then a big tank. Frankly I find them
less demanding.