Old 18-07-2003, 04:42 AM
Kirra

Default Any effect of dormant spray on companion plants?

Hi,

It is getting towards pruning time here in Australia and I would like to use
lime sulphur spray on my roses after pruning. I have read/heard that it will
cause leaves to fall off or become deformed if sprayed after the roses have
started to leaf out. If this is the case, how do I spray my three roses in
my front bed with companion plants? I have violas, snap dragons and grape
hyacinths in this bed and I am concerned that their leaves will become
deformed or fall off. Or could they even die as they aren't very big yet?

How do you deal with this? Should I avoid dormant spraying these roses or
attempt to spray/pour right against the canes so that there is no drift onto
the companion plants?

Thanks,

Kirra
Brisbane, Australia