Old 18-07-2003, 06:12 AM
Alternate Personality

Default Passion Flowers & Fruit

Nope, haven't fed them. Is it too late this year to give it a try?

thanks,
alternate

"animaux" wrote in message
When mine flowers, there's no stopping it. When I planted them I used

soft rock
phosphate. It seems to be a more available phosphorous to plants,which

triggers
the flowering mechanism. Have you fed it?

On Thu, 17 Jul 2003 02:40:19 GMT, "Alternate Personality"
wrote:

Well, I'll keep you posted. Perhaps the person who owned my property

before
I did put in some non-native varieties. As of this writing, I have at

least
20 vines (some easily 30 feet in length), and zero flowers. I've probably
only had a dozen blooms, total, in the last 10 years, and I believe they
were all bluish-purple in color. I had more or less come to the

conclusion
that passion flowers just didn't want to flower in this part of Texas,

but
that clearly has not been the experience of others in this group.

-alternate

"animaux" wrote in message
.. .
Passiflora is a relatively large variety of plants within it's family.

The only
one native to Texas, I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) is the red

flowering
variety. I don't know the botanical name.

On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 12:43:12 GMT, "Alternate Personality"
wrote:

So far this summer, I have not had a single flower, so I don't have

anything
to photograph at the moment. The flowers, when they occur, are large

(maybe
3" in diameter), and a beautiful deep blue with a hint of purple. I'm

99.99
percent certain they are passion flowers, based on photos I've seen of
passion flowers. But if I get any blooms this summer, I'll be more

than
happy to send you a photo.

thanks,
alternate

"animaux" wrote in message
.. .
Can you produce a photo of the flower you do have? What color is

it?

On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 00:17:47 GMT, "Alternate Personality"
wrote:

I have a general question about passion flowers. I've got them,

native,
all
over my property. I know they are passion flowers because one of

the
vines
occasionally blooms. But, many of the vines never bloom at all, and

those
few that occasionally produce a flower or two never form any fruit.

I've
got
plenty of flies, bees, wasps, mosquitos, birds, etc., so I doubt

lack
of
pollination is the problem. Some vines are in full sun, others

partial
shade, others full shade. I have good (i.e., imported from

Gardenville
or
equivalent) soil in most areas. Does anyone have any idea why: (1)

my
vines
so seldom bloom (I get maybe three blossoms total per season, and

have
had
none so far this year), and (2) why I never see fruit? The vines
themselves
are quite vigorous, especially the ones that get a lot of sun. And

have
other blooming plants that have no problem making flowers, and

pepper
plants
that have no problem making fruit.

thanks,
alternate

"starlia" wrote in message
During the past week I have had about 15 more flowers turn into

fruit.
I've
been cross pollinating with my finger which seems to be

successful.

One question. I left one of the fruits on the vine assuming that

it
wasn't
big enough to eat. I have a blue passion flower and thought they

would
get
at least 1 1/2" inches in size before they were good to eat. It

seems
left the first one on too long. When do I know when it would be

okay
pick and eat? Also, how do I get the seeds from the fruit? I

saw a
post
that said the fruit had to rot a little before getting the seed.

Thanks!