Old 18-07-2003, 10:13 AM
ruprecte

Default Bio-spira seems to be working fine

"Toni" wrote in message
thlink.net...

"Victor M. Martinez" wrote in message
I just started a new 20 gallon tank and used Bio-spira to seed with
bacteria. I setup the tank Saturday and added fish (5 inches worth) and
Bio-spira on Sunday. On Monday I added another 6 inches worth of fish

plus
a few MTS and ghost shrimp. My ammonia indicator hasn't shown a trace of
ammonia yet! The tank also has a few plants, but these are brand new, so

don't think they're growing enough to consume all the waste.

Please continue testing daily.
I recently set up a 90g using Bio-Spira and a fairly (ok- a *really*)

large
fish load. The product handled the ammonia stage really well, but dropped
the ball when the nitrites began spiking.
In my own experience days 7 through 11 were the worst- had I not still

been
testing daily I would have missed the spike.
I did daily water changes on those days ( I had to do it twice on day 9- I
keep really good notes) and all went well. The tank was completely cycled

by
the 12th day.

Bio-Spira proved to be a big help but is not a miracle.
Get your water buckets ready.

--
Toni
http://www.cearbhaill.com/aquarium

Ive had my 30g for one month now, with the aid of bio spira, I'd agree with
Toni that it helped very much in the earlier ammonia stage but once nitrite
hit there was no evidence of its help, daily water changes (20-30%) was what
I had to do on approx. days 8-14. Ive read (from Net Max I think) that the
bacteria in bio spira doesnt have a "born on date" hence even keeping the
product frozen will not save all of it after some time, so in turn its
relatively easy to drop thirteen bucks on a packet of bio spira and not get
that much, if any, bang for your buck.-Brian