Old 18-07-2003, 10:14 AM
Tzeentch

Default Plants dying quickly. Help needed please.

Hi again, (btw, I'm the originator of this thread, posting from work
with google.ca).

First, I would like to thank everybody for their take and advices.
Following the discussion here I bought a few low light plants for my
aquarium. Namely, 2 Anubia Nana (they also had some mother plants,
but I decided against them for such a small tank as mine), 4 Valsinera
(Don't remember which race though, dammit) and a fist-full of java
moss (which I secured to a scenery piece with sowing thread untill it
takes a grip of it).

Now, I'm putting some money aside for a new lighting system. As
reading this thread, and a lot of other threads on lighting (I took a
lot of time reading post on the subject made up to 1998 using
groups.google.com) made me realize that there seems to be absolutly no
substitute for adequate lighting,
I've been looking around for lighting solutions and I'm still unsure
as to what direction I should take. The kits at AH supply seems nice,
but somehow I can't seem to find something that would fit my tank.
I'm under the impression that a 2x55w kit would be overkill
(4.4w/gal), and a 1x55w kit might not be enough (2.2w/gal). The MH
kit at aquaqiclight.com seem to be super-mega-too-much overkill 175w
(7w/gal), unless I don't understand MH. Any other idea?

Also, any Canadians here got any good/bad stories ordering from AH
supply?

Thanks again for any answers

p.s.: I just can't beleive how friendly and (almost) flame free the
aquaria newsgroups are. Congrats to all the regulars for making newbs
like me feel at home.