Old 18-07-2003, 10:15 AM
David Wee

Default pH 6.3 kH 5 = 50 ppM co2 help

I took my readings today after having freshly installed the onyx Sand, (im
using the Nutrafin "DIY" kit)..

My water straight from the tap: 7.6 pH
1 kH

After water is in the tank
(DIY co2, Onyx Sand) 6.3 pH
5 kH

Why is my pH so low? I heard Onyx Sand has inherent buffering properties
which would help to counteract the falling pH.

Tank is 10 Gallons, the possible reasons I can think are this:

(1) the Co2 Is not being used up fast enough by my "relatively light"
plant load?

(2) the 40 Watts of light are not helping the plants grow fast enough?

(3) A non-plant related issue? The only "chemicals" I used are AmQuel
(chlormaine remover) and TransClear (also by kordon, the thing that makes
the water clear)