Old 18-07-2003, 10:15 AM
LeighMo

Default Dumb question about Amano shrimp

So...any tips on how to catch these guys and safely relocate them? I recall
that they came shipped with a little piece of foam in their bags, and I
believe
I read that this is necessary to give them something to cling onto, else they
become overstressed and can easily get sick/die.

True. It's very important to give them something to cling to. It doesn't have
to be foam. It can be plant clippings. (When I plan to buy shrimp, I take
plant clippings from my tank to the LFS to put in the bag for the trip home.)
Or anything else light enough that it won't hurt the shrimp if it bangs into
them.

They won't pinch you. You can capture them and relocate them, but you will
probably have to remove all plants and decorations and lower the water level to
only an inch or two first. I did that with my ghost shrimp, when I changed
their substrate from plain gravel to Flourite. It may help to use two nets,
one to chase the critters toward the other.

And keep your eyes open. You may find you have more shrimp than you started
out with. :-) Also watch for shrimp clinging to the plants as you remove
them.

Leigh