Old 18-07-2003, 11:15 AM
Tzeentch

Default CO2 bubbles collecting in Nutrafin diffuser

That's what I think, too. However, sometimes one large bubble gets stuck

at
the very bottom of the diffuser right next to the bubble-producing nozzle.
In this case almost every new bubble bounces off the large one, misses the
diffuser and shoots straight to the surface.

Yeah, it seems to do that here too, except it doesn't do that very often, so
my guess is that it's not that big of an issue. Especially in your 5.5
gallon tank.

Initially I wanted to by only the diffuser from one of the online stores.
But later I decided to go the faster way and bought the whole thing at

LFS.
I don't regret it though. My tank is small (5.5 gal) and the whole thing
fits it pretty well.

That's what I did too, I was checking all the component necessary to DIY and
decided it was too much trouble. I think I'll still buy everything little
bit by little bit to set up a nice DIY with 2 bottles, Gas Separator,
Silicon (or Tygon if I can find some) tubing, and I'll keep the difuser
(bubble counter) and make some kind of a stand for all of this at the back
of my tank.

BTW, according to the installation instructions, the nozzle can be

attached
to the diffuser at three different points, deepening on the size of the
tank. The smaller is the tank - the higher the nozzle is supposed to be
attached. With my 5.5 I was supposed to go with the topmost (shallowest)
attachment point, but I ignored this recommendation and went with the
deepest one to give bubbles more travel time. Does anybody know what is

the
importance of this recommendation in the installation instructions?

Check your PH often, if it goes down too much set-it up the nozzle higher or
increase surface turbulence. Your fish most probably won't die from oxygen
depravation, but they might die of blood acidosis.

I don't know about you, but I was a bit disapointed by some part (of

lack
thereof) of the kit. No check-valve?

Yeah. I bought one separately right away.

Anybody know where I can buy CO2 specific check valves? Two different
hardware store don't have that, and the LFS don't either. What kind of
store should I be looking for? Any online place where I could buy that?

The tube seems made of vinyl(?)
instead of a better material like silicone.

Hmm... I thought I read it somewhere either in the installation

instructions
or on the box that the tube is specifically suited for CO2 applications

(or
something to that effect). Just some marketing BS?

It says, in the instruction "CO2-resistant Tubing -not affected by CO2
contact". But says nothing of what kind of material it's made of. I am
feeling a bit skeptical about the kind of tubing used, it does feel like
vinyl, but I might be wrong, please somebody correct me if I'm in error.