Old 18-07-2003, 10:15 AM
Wilma Duncan

Default Dumb question about Amano shrimp

Erica, this is not a dumb question. I keep and breed the Amnao shrimp. You
are right, they are very difficult to catch. As for shipping, I use a small
amount of java Moss in the bag. They cling to this and do fine in
transporting. When I go to catch the adults I place my hand over the net to
transfer to the bag as they are great jumpers. No, they do not pinch or bite
in any way. Very safe to handle. I have an article on my web page on shrimp.
Wilma
http://www.jayscustomcomputers.com/wilma/
"E. Mito" wrote in message
I will be moving soon so must somehow relocate all six of my tanks and

their
inhabitants with me. My question (a dumb one, probably) is how do you

move
shrimp safely?

I bought my shrimp online, so I didn't get the benefit of watching anyone

catch
and bag the shrimp. They seem to be pretty quick when they want to be,

and
when I tried to move a shrimp from one tank to another, I couldn't catch

him
with my net (well, I did but then he would just scurry right out before I

had a
chance to get the net out of the tank).

Also, I notice that they have little pincers on the ends of their....front

legs
(or arms?). How strong are these and can they pinch you?? (don't laugh

at me,
please)

So...any tips on how to catch these guys and safely relocate them? I

recall
that they came shipped with a little piece of foam in their bags, and I

believe
I read that this is necessary to give them something to cling onto, else

they
become overstressed and can easily get sick/die.

Please help..I need all I can for what I'm sure will soon become the move

from
hell.

Erica
http://members.aol.com/_ht_a/mitoem/index.htm