Old 18-07-2003, 10:15 AM
Reb

Default another algae question

I am having a bearded algae problem. Tank parameters:

20 gal
Temp: 78-82
pH: 6.5
NH3/NH4: 0
NO2: 0
dGH: 7° or 125.3 ppm
dKH: 2° or 35.8 ppm
Fish: 2 opaline gouramis and 1 albino cory
Plants: 2 small swords, 1 large sword, some hogwart that can't decide
whether its gonna gro or die and several hagwartish looking plants that I am
unsure of their names, broader leaves than 'wort
Filter: UGF mostly, run a whisper Power Filter on the lowest flow to help
with mech filtration.
light: 25w for about 12-14 hours a day
Fertilizer: Tetra FloraPride as directed

I think I put everything I know about my tank in there.

Recently I noticed algae growing in my tank. After perusing various NG's and
asking some questions I found out it was bearded algae. I thought I'd read
to feed the plants more and they'd outcompete the algae. I doubled up on
florapride and increased light from 8 hours a day to about it's current
level of 12-14 hours. The algae has gone insane now. It seems like the only
thing it isn't goring off of is my fish.

Any suggestions. Right now it actually looks kinda neat but I think a couple
of weeks growth like it has been and all will be lost. Chemical solution?
Maybe a fish I need to add, seems I remember seeing that one particular fish
loves bearded algae but I can not find that post? Snails?

I am new to keeping nothing but live plants in a tank and need some help
please. Thank you for any you provide.

Derek