Old 18-07-2003, 10:15 AM
Mike Noren

Default Can you identify this (semi) aquatic moss?

Roger Van Loon wrote in message ...
Hi Mike
Well, I don't think I have ever seen that plant, the only water moss I
ever found over here (Belgium) is Fontinalis antipyretica. But I seem
to remember there is another Fontinalis species in Europe that is more
slender than F. antipyretica.
Frances Perry in her book "Water Gardening" even speaks of two (after
F. antipyretica):
"""
Fontinalis capillacea is very much daintier in appearance, with fine

Fontinalis gracilis has lax, dark green masses of of stems and foliage
wich flow like tresses of hair with the movement of the water. Europe.
"""
Could it be one of those?

Yes, I'm starting to think it is a species of Fontinalis (apparently
there are quite a few). I took a close look at it today, and it does
seem to have boat-like leaves in three rows, just like F. antipyretica
does. I also found some mention on the net that F. gracilis looks a
lot like java-moss, and does well in aquaria.

So - best guess right now is that it's a smaller species of
Fontinalis.

Here's some more pictures of it, and of F. antipyretica for
comparison:
http://hem.bredband.net/micnor/Mysterymoss.htm