Old 18-07-2003, 10:15 AM
JudyK

Default Upgrading my lighting

Hi Leigh,

Thanks for the help again. It's very useful!

That upgrade kit looks pretty neat.

I went to Big Al's today and looked at all their stuff. I think I will
get a glass top ($20) and then I could either get a 55 watt compact
flourescent fixture ($180) or a double tube regular flourescent
fixture (2 x 20 watts and about $90) and use that one either alone or
as well as my current one (20 watts). They would all fit with the
filter and everything. Or I could make something.

Is there a big difference with the compact flourescent? The bulbs seem
to cost about twice as much as the regular ones. The one that comes
with the 55 watt setup is 9325 degrees K which seems pretty blue to me
(I'm a photographer).

I checked out the flourite too and it's $30 a bag. I think I'll use at
least part flourite for the bottom.

In case these prices seem high, I'm in Canada where our dollars don't
go so far!

I also got an introductory plant book and it recommends at least 50
watts for 25 gallons for just about all of them. I'm hoping to collect
some native plants that would go with the native fish. Oh, and my rosy
red minnow's eggs hatched so I now have about 50 teeny tiny babies
swimming around in a 1 gal tank.

Judy, proud grandmother