Old 18-07-2003, 11:15 AM
LeighMo

Default Bio-spira report, Day 6

What is the "usual way" to cycle a tank? Start with a few hardy fish and
wait for a month?

No way, Jose. If it's a high tech planted tank, I'd use Chuck's method.
Otherwise, I'd use fishless cycling, preferably spiked with mulm from an
established tank. You can have the tank fully cycled in under a week. To the
point where you can add the full fish load all at once.

To justify its price it just needs to provide enough
convenience to people willing to pay for it. If it's going to allow a new
person to start a tank *full* of fish in one week instead of 4-8 weeks, I'd
say it's worth the $13 (I just checked).

But like I said, you can do the same with fishless cycling and mulm from an
established tank.

Nobody is forcing you to use this product, why are you so intent on denying
its potential benefits and the anecdotal evidence I've collected?

I could see potential benefits. For an emergency, say, or for someone who
doesn't have established tanks. But I just don't see any point in spending
money for this stuff if you have an established tank to provide bacteria. And
I'm saying so here, just like you're saying the opposite. I know I'm not going
to convince you, but you and I aren't the only people reading this thread.

And while anecdotal evidence is interesting, in this particular case, it
doesn't mean anything. I've searched through Deja, and as many people reported
problems as said it worked. That's exactly what happened with Cycle -- some
people said it was great, others said it was worse than useless. I think the
scientific evidence on Cycle is now pretty strongly pointing to the "useless"
side of the scale, yet people still buy it and claim it works.

I'd like to see a real scientific test on Bio-Spira, just for curiosity's sake.
Is there really any live bacteria in the bottle? And if so, does it actually
speed cycling?

BTW, day 7 and no ammonia, very little nitrites and nitrates.

Keep measuring. The people who reported trouble didn't have problems until
about the two week point.

Leigh