Old 18-07-2003, 11:16 AM
Ghazanfar Ghori

Default Blue Green Algae (cyanobacteria) & Erythromycin

H2O2 works best on BGA. It has little effect on any other form.
Make sure you've got BGA. Its easy to tell if its BGA - its got
a VERY distinct earthly smell, and its very soft - you can rub it
off very easily. Usually its dark green in color. If that is indeed what
you have, then read this...
http://www.thekrib.com/Plants/Algae/...-peroxide.html
If its got your entire tank, it'll be hard to spot treat, and the amount
of H202 you might endup using may hurt your plants a fish. Go with
Tom Barrs reccomendation. If I see a little of it starting up (do to some
kind of neglect or poor water circulation) I'll spot treat it and it goes
away within 2 days.

However, since you say its brownish, I have some doubts that
you have BGA. You may have brown algae - diatoms. Add in
2 ottos per 10G of tank and they should be able to clean it
off pretty quickly.

Water getting hazy could be several things. It could be a slight case
of green water or a bacteria bloom.