Old 18-07-2003, 11:16 AM
Ron Nelson

Default CO2 bubbles collecting in Nutrafin diffuser

If one wanted to get a better idea as to the contents of the stabilizer,
couldn't you measure out the same amounts of it and of baking soda and put
them in two identical sized containers of water that have been tested for KH
before, then check the KH after adding? At least then you might have a
better idea wouldn't you?

Ron

"Tzeentch" wrote in message
Some people speculated that it's probably baking soda (Sodium

Bicarbonate),
probaly since it can be used as a pretty good buffer. That's just
speculation though and I haven't seen anybody being positive on whatever

is
in that packet.

"Ronaldo Jeremiah" wrote in message
om...

I've got one of these two. I think it's great, and I'm totally
satisfied with it. As other have noted, the bubbles will begin to
travel properly on their own after a while.

My question is this: What is the stabilizer? I know that the
activator is yeast, and I suspect that the stabilizer works by somehow
regulating the pH in the yeast/sugar/water mix, but even if I am right
about that I don't know what it is. If I knew what it was, I could
probably buy it much cheaper in bulk, since a three-pack of activator
and stabilizer is about $8! I know the yeast should cost next to
nothing.

Anyone know what the stabilizer is, or want to take an educated guess?

-RJ