Old 18-07-2003, 05:02 PM
Moontanman

Default Will crawfish eat...

Crawfish are a major problem here in Arizona, pushing out alot of native
species. I've done research on native fish and learned that crawfish will
eat algae, plants, fish, baby ducks (!), frogs, poisonous toads, any egg,
and other crayfish. They are extremely aggressive, and can get very big.
Crawfish like to dig in their search for food, so they will uproot many
plants.

good luck
--donovan

Are you talkning about non-native crayfish? Crayfish are native to Arizona so
you must be talking about a non-native species. I have never heard of a North
american crayfish big enough to eat baby duck but be that as it may there are
hundreds of differnt species of crayfish from tiny dwarf ones to huge lobster
sized ones from Austriala. The crayfish most often offered for sale in
aquariums are a south eastern variaty, they will eat small fish and soft plants
but large fish will eat them. they get to be about 5 to 6 inches long. the blue
ones often seen for sale are just a color variaty of the same crayfish. Dwarf
crayfish are safe with plants and small fish but large fish will eat them like
candy.

Moon
remove nospam from e-mail to send to me, I grow trees in aquariums like bonsai.
I breed dwarf crayfish, great for planted community tanks. If you can get me a
shovelnose sturgeon fingerling (Scaphirhynchus platorynchus) no wild caught
please, contact me