Old 19-07-2003, 05:42 AM
Jock

Default Critter identification

I tend to agree with Trish. The head is obviously cricket and the long
antennae seems to point that way. These things can be like bolt cutters
when they get bigger. Attitude +!
Jock

"Trish Brown" wrote in message
Red wrote:

Have a look at these 3 pics here

http://optusnet.com.au/~softfix/

What is it?

Is it a young earwig or whiteant/termite gulp

Red

Red, you don't say how big it is. I'm assuming it's pretty small, since

you say
it could be a termite. While the 'terminal cerci' (that's what those

things at
the end are called) remind me of an earwig, the creature just doesn't

appear
flat enough... And an earwig's cerci are supposed to be inwardly recurved

and
this one's aren't. They curve upward.

So my vote would be for a cave cricket nymph (whose Family name I've

completely
forgotten, just when I want to quote it!) =:-0

The cave cricket is a member of the grasshopper family that lives in caves

and
under houses. They grow pretty large (maybe three inches long?) and have
antennae as long or longer than their bodies. I reckon your critter could

be a
baby one.
--
Trish {|:-}
Newcastle, NSW, Australia

PS. Aha! I looked in 'Insects of Australia' and find the animal I *think*

it is
would be from the Superfamily Rhaphidophoridae. Dunno if that helps?

PPS. Diagnostic features of crickets (from 'Insects of Australia') a
eyes are present or greatly reduced?
the number of segments in the tarsus (foot)
whether a tympanum is present (it's a small 'spot' on the forelimb)

If you can answer these questions, then someone from the CSIRO might be

able to
help.

Here's a site worth looking at:

http://www.ento.csiro.au/aicn/

PPPS Sorry for the essay! I get carried away! :-(