Old 19-07-2003, 07:22 AM
-=Almazick=-

Default How much lighting is too much?

One mistake and your tank is full of Algae with a lot of light. Be ready
for troubles.

"RedForeman ©®" wrote in message
Thanks Rex, much appreciation...

Prepared, as with CO2, and test kits. Nitrate and phosphate. Having
an adequate amount of fertilizers on hand. Bulk sources of nitrate,
phosphate, potassium, trace minerals. Knowing how to dose the
fertilizers. A 4 wpg tank is what I consider to be a very fast tank.
Plants grow fast, nutrients are used fast, problems happen fast, fixes
happen slow.

At 4 wpg you are going to need CO2. Maybe not right at the start but
soon. And going from ~1 wpg to 4 wpg is going to cause you problems
if you are not prepared.

I have been keeping plants for a little over a year, but would say I

am
still a beginner at this. I am going to upgrade the lighting on my

46
gallon bowfront tank from a single flourescent, giving me right now

~1
watt/gallon, to a compact flourescent fixture. I am looking at the
Coralife
deluxe series and am debatting between the 96 watt fixture, giving

me
2
watts/gallon, and the 192 watt fixture, giving me 4 watts/gallon.

It
is
36" hood. I do not currently have any supplemental CO2. I am

leaning
toward the 192 watt, but am wondering if that will require CO2 to

keep
things in check. It would be nice to be able to keep some bright

light
plants! Any advice?

Semper Fi!

Visit the forums at Aqua Botanic!