Old 19-07-2003, 01:22 PM
Mary Marzano

Default Help! Cottonwood tress dropping leaves alarming rate!

I was referred here by someone in alt.home.lawn-garden
and hope someone can help!

I live in north central Texas ...north of Dallas and south of Sherman if
that helps. I have three huge cottonwood trees that are in front of my
house. And another tree I'm trying to identify---they ALL seem to be losing
leaves. Isn't it awfully early for fall? Do cottonwoods lose leaves in
late July? I'm very worried...The last two days I've dragged the hose over
to them and just let it run at a low drip so the trees hopefully get
'filled' up as far as water goes. Of course, I'm watching not to drown them
or anything, but have been wondering if there's maybe too little water
getting to them. I've checked for any evidence of insect infestation and
see none. The trees are dropping leaves rapidly, as if it's fall. The
trees on the branches look fine, the trees themselves still look filled with
leaves, but the ground is covered with leaves already, as if it were fall.
This is my first summer here, so I don't know if this is normal or not. I
moved here last November and there were tons of leaves then....

Any advice or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

mary