Old 19-07-2003, 08:22 PM

Default Crazy flies buzzing & biting

if they look like a stealth bomber (triangle) and have stripes they are deer flies.
people here put a round of duct tape on their hats to catch them. Ingrid

(dstvns) wrote:

Hello,

I suppose this is a strech, but I was hoping to ID a particularly
nasty fly that matures this time of year around nw NJ / Poconos. It
is a fairly slow fly, meaning it cannot run rings around your hand as
you try to swat it. However, when it lands on skin, the bite is
especially vicious....it can even bleed. The only advantage is it
takes a few seconds from landing to biting, so usually there's enough
time to swat & kill it. It is slow enough that swatting usually gets
it, otherwise they buzz around your head several times before
attempting to land again.

These flies have been major pains for years now. The eyes are a
orange-like color, and the size is the size of a normal house fly,
about a quarter-inch. Dragonflies particularly relish them as
food....I had one buzzing around my dog's head while we walked on the
road....a dragonfly came and scooped it up, right out of the air.

Dan

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com