Old 20-07-2003, 04:02 PM
Frogleg

Default Fresh horseradish

On Sat, 19 Jul 2003 22:15:31 GMT, wrote:

My neighbor mailed me some horseradish from his garden because I enjoy
making my own. The package took a few days to get here and the roots were
pretty hot when they arrived. They smell a little funky (but doesn't
horseradish always smell funky?), but are still firm. I've had them in the
fridge for a few days. How can I tell if they're still safe to use?

Use? Plant! At least cut off a few chunks and put in a pot.
Horseradish is *very* vigorous (and invasive if put in unconfined
ground). As for eating, if's a pretty long-lasting root veg. No
expert advice by any means, but I would rinse it and refrigerate. I
don't believe *safe* is a consideration, without actual signs of decay
and/or rot. How long is a turnip "safe"?