Old 20-07-2003, 03:32 PM
D. S.

Default "Tribbles"???

Is there a web site where I can see/buy them??

D.S.

"LeighMo" wrote in message
I recently saw a little balls of what looked to be algae in the LFS. They
had them labled as "Tribbles". What's up with this plant? Is it just a

ball
of some sort of moss or what? What are it's requirements? Would anyone
suggest this as an addition to my tank? They look kinda interesting so

I'm
thinking about getting one or two but with a name like "tribble" I'm

kinda
hesitant (I have seen the Star Trek episode about the "tribbles" and

don't
want a tank full of little "algae balls").
Thnx.

It's Cladophora. A form of algae. But don't worry, it won't take over

your
tank. It will stay in a ball, and not spread.

And it's not tribble-like when it comes to reproduction. It will get

bigger,
but it won't divide (unless you divide it). They can get as big as a

human
head. (It will be hollow inside by then.) But they are very

slow-growing, and
take a long time to reach that size.

They are very undemanding, and well-suited to a low or moderate-light

tank.
You just have to squeeze the mulm out of them once in awhile (like a

sponge!).

Leigh