Old 20-07-2003, 10:19 PM
Alex R

Default #@%$ Algae - I'm going to turn my tank into a bird cage.

"JR" wrote in message
The Hagen kit contains a reagent #3 that is apparently comprised of
zinc dust mixed with N-1 Naphthylethylene-diamine Di HCl. Each time
the test is run, a different result is obtained. Apparently, the zinc
does not stay in suspension correctly, no matter how much the reagent
bottle is shaken. It masses together to the point that it makes
dispensing the solution near impossible - for it clogs the tip. This
kit is one month old.

A conversation with a Hagen rep found that regent bottle 3 if
frozen seperates the zinc from solution. once seperated the test
is worthless. When ever the regent is seperated for any reason
the test wont work... At that time he did not have a answer for the fix.

We foud that our kits were getting frozen in transport way befor we got
them.
Time to look for a different kithth

I think the only way they can prevent that from happening is to provide
reagent 3 in dry form, as Seachem does with their NO3 reagent. Until then,
I'll be using the Seachem kit.
__
Alex
pcalex (at) hotpop.com