Old 27-01-2003, 08:51 PM
zxcvbob

Default Onions

"Lorenzo L. Love" wrote:

Anne Middleton/Harold Walker wrote:

I think you are looking for "potato onions".........just type in 'potato
onions' on Yahoo.........you should find them there......suspect the only
problem will be getting them at this time of the year.......typically they
are a fall planting onion...........HW

Also called multiplier onions. Territorial has them. You're right, too
late to plant them this year.

When I was a kid we had multiplier onions that *never* formed a bulb. They
just kept dividing, and when you pulled some up for a salad, you broke one
off the bunch and replanted it. They looked like scallions that you buy in
the supermarket, but they were a little smaller and tasted like shallots.
IIRC, you could plant them year-round, but that was in Texas where the
ground never froze and the multiplying onions stayed green all winter.
I've planted shallots before, and it's not the same thing -- and the
shallots are not nearly as prolific.

Best regards,
Bob