Old 21-07-2003, 06:54 PM
anne

Default Another berry challenge

Tim, one of these days you're going to poison yourself - be carful!!

;-)

Tim Tyler wrote in message ...
I was so pleased with the excellent assistance offered in my last berry
challenge here I thought I'd try my luck again ;-)

Here are photos of a couple more species of berry that seem
to grow locally near me - in the SW of the UK.

Both appear to be edible - but I'd rather ID them before taking
my chances.

The first one looks like a species of Barberry - or Mahonia.

Deep blue berries with a dark red flesh, ten brown seeds or so.

Much smaller leaves than the normal "oregan grape", though.

Delicious, though - slightly sweet.

The second has larger fruit - almost an inch across. Orange - turning red
when ripe. With dozens of cream seeds in a single enclosure within.
Each seed has a little tuft of hair atop it - and the fruit has a big
green crown where the flower used to be.

The flesh has a very mild flavour.

Pretty distinctive I reckon - which is a good job since my photos of
this one are a bit blurry and I didn't get any foliage this time :-/

I guess that's part of what makes it a berry challenge!

4 photos in total:

http://sprouting.org/garden/berries/

Thanks in advance for any assistance.
--