Old 29-01-2003, 02:30 AM
zxcvbob

Default Onions

zog wrote:

(zxcvbob) wrote in :

"Lorenzo L. Love" wrote:

Anne Middleton/Harold Walker wrote:

I think you are looking for "potato onions".........just type in
'potato onions' on Yahoo.........you should find them
there......suspect the only problem will be getting them at this
time of the year.......typically they are a fall planting
onion...........HW

Also called multiplier onions. Territorial has them. You're right, too
late to plant them this year.

When I was a kid we had multiplier onions that *never* formed a bulb.
They just kept dividing, and when you pulled some up for a salad, you
broke one off the bunch and replanted it. They looked like scallions
that you buy in the supermarket, but they were a little smaller and
tasted like shallots. IIRC, you could plant them year-round, but that
was in Texas where the ground never froze and the multiplying onions
stayed green all winter. I've planted shallots before, and it's not the
same thing -- and the shallots are not nearly as prolific.

Best regards,
Bob

Check out evergreen bunching onions, they never form bulbs and are hardy
into at least z6. You start them from seed and can pull your first onions
in the fall. I got mine from Stokes.

I've tried 'em. Actually, I have a 3 or 4 year old patch of them in the
corner of the garden, but they are not good for much except the first
year from seeds. They are a Japanese variety, and I don't remember the
name but it started with an 'I'. They are a lot closer to what I wanted
than the usual "evergreen white bunching" variety; at least they were
closer for a few months. Then they formed little bulbs, and the next
(and subsequent) years they were tough and woody and put all their
energy into blooming.

The onions I'm talking about never bloomed, so seeds would not be
available. You would have to start with transplants. Did I mention
that they taste something like shallots?

Best regards,
Bob (zone 4)