Old 22-07-2003, 04:42 PM
Susan Gillispie

Default O/T - Box Turtle diet

!doctype html public "-//w3c//dtd html 4.0 transitional//en"
html
919-387-1662 is the phone number for Wildlife Welfare in Raleigh.
They can give you some information.  Your instinct about not relocating
him is probably good.  I know the Wildlife Centers always try to take
injured turtles back to where they were found.
pAnne Lurie wrote:
blockquote TYPE=CITEYesterday, I noticed a Box Turtle (I think that's
what it was) next to one
brof my raised beds.  Actually, I nearly stepped on the poor guy,
because I
brwasn't expecting any surprises there!
pThe turtle seems to be missing one of its front legs.  I don't
know how this
braffects its ability to move around, it's apparent that the turtle uses
its
brfront legs to pull off pieces of food to eat  --  when I
put down a few
brslices of melon, it used one front foot to hold down the melon while
pulling
brpieces off.
pAnybody have any suggestions what I should do  --  if anything
--  to help
brthis turtle out?  I say "if anything" because I'd hate to see
the turtle
brbecome dependent upon my putting down food for it under the hedge.
I'm not
brgoing to put it in a cage, nor am I going to relocate it if I can help
it,
brbecause right now it's safe from my own dogs (and other dogs), and
there are
brlots of places for it to find cover.
pThanks,
pAnne Lurie