Old 22-07-2003, 04:42 PM
Jay Chan

Default How to Improve Lawn Soil? Go Organic?

http://www.espoma.com/pdf/garden/GI_4.pdf

You can substitute your own organic brands for Espoma's, although I like and
use Espoma's organic fertilizers.

Good. I would take a look at their mix. Thanks.

I would also recommend laying down rich
topsoil in the fall, core aerating, then overseeding.

Yes, this is definitely something that I will do in this fall. The
only exception is that I will use finished compost instead of top
soil. I will be spreading out top soil onto the lawn before this fall
anyway. Therefore, I am kind of not wanting to add the same thing onto
my lawn again in fall.

If your area experiences substantial freeze/thaw cycles over the winter,
it's also useful to sneak in an additional overseeding right before a
major snowstorm.

Why is overseeding right before a snowstorm useful? Wouldn't that kill
the young seeds that have just germinated?

Jay Chan