Old 22-07-2003, 04:42 PM
Phisherman

Default How to Improve Lawn Soil? Go Organic?

On Mon, 21 Jul 2003 21:26:54 -0700, "Leslie"
wrote:

"Jay Chan" wrote in message
. com...
- What is the best way to improve the soil? Is using compost the
best way? Or should I use organic fertilizer such as the one made from
sewage (from Milwaukee or some other city)? Any other choices that I
should check? Is there something that is cheaper and better?

I've had similar problems with my lawn. We have mostly sand and rocks with
very little topsoil. For a few years I've been reseeding and using
fertilizer. This year I spread about an inch of peat moss in the worst
section and within a month I had *much* better grass there. Now I plan on
doing the whole lawn with the peat moss in the fall. I was amazed at the
results.

Leslie

Peat moss is okay, but compost or topsoil is much better. Order a
truckload of mushroom compost and spread it evenly over your lawn.
Peat moss (unlike compost) has very little nutrients and will tend to
acidify the soil.