Old 22-07-2003, 07:22 PM
Leslie

Default How to Improve Lawn Soil? Go Organic?

"Jay Chan" wrote in message
om...
I've had similar problems with my lawn. We have mostly sand and rocks

with
very little topsoil. For a few years I've been reseeding and using
fertilizer. This year I spread about an inch of peat moss in the worst
section and within a month I had *much* better grass there. Now I plan

on
doing the whole lawn with the peat moss in the fall. I was amazed at the
results.

Great! I have three LARGE bags of peat moss sitting in my garage that
I need to use somehow somewhere anyway. Just to be in the safe side, I
will mix it with finished compost before applying it to the bare spots
in my lawn.

One question:
Do you put the grass seeds _before_ spreading out peat moss?

I let the peat moss settle well before seeding. The compost/peat moss mix is
a good idea. Phisherman made a good point about peatmoss not having
nutrients like compost. Maybe you could do like I did and just try it in a
section first, then do the whole lawn if it makes a difference.

Leslie

Thanks.

Jay Chan