Old 23-07-2003, 06:02 PM
dave weil

Default roses for a hedge?

On Wed, 23 Jul 2003 11:25:15 -0400 (EDT), "Shiva"
wrote:

J. Del Col wrote:

The classic hedgerows of Normandy, France are made of R. canina.
Planted closely and allowed to grow for decades, they could literally
stop an army, as
the GI's found out as they tried to break out of the Normandy
beachhead.

The fighting in the "bocage" was vicious and bloody until somebody
figured out how to fit a tank with a kind of cutter bar that was used to uproot
the hedgerows and allow easy passage of troops and tanks.

Just a little historical highlight.

Very nice. Can you direct me to a photo of this rose in a hedge? If you have one handy?

If you're being threatened by tanks, Shiva, I'd suggest building some
tank traps as well...

Also, a few outposts of TOW missiles a mile or so out will help as
well.