Old 29-01-2003, 05:12 PM
Steve Calvin

Default Mantis tiller

Steve Calvin wrote:
Ross Reid wrote:

Bruce Yates wrote:

Can anyone give me their opinion on the Mantis tiller?

I had a troy built years ago and loved it, but sold it after back
surgery. Went to square foot gardening a couple of years ago and am
considering one for my small garden, flower beds, etc.

How good is it at breaking sod for new planting beds?

Thanks,
Bruce

I bought a Mantis tiller many years ago. Sent it back for a refund.
Bought a Honda FG-100 a couple of years ago. It'll till rings around
the Mantis plus, it's a four stroke so, no gas/oil mixing.
That being said, the Honda FG-100, even though it is far superior to
the Mantis, would be hopeless at breaking any amount of sod for new
beds.
Ross
Eliminate obvious to email.

I guess I'm in the minority on this one. I bought a Mantis a few years
ago and it amazes me. I had a section of yard complete with a maze of
pine tree roots that I could hardly dig up with a shovel, pick, and ax.
I must have worked on it for about an hour and only got about a 3x3 foot
square dug up. When the mantis showed up, I fired it up and did the
whole area in about 15 minutes.

I've seen very little that can stop it.

ps. except maybe clay... I've never tried that.

--
Steve