Old 24-07-2003, 04:22 PM
Simon Avery

Default Cracked concrete pond

"Bernard Huckstep" wrote:

Hello Bernard

BH I have a small pond (7' x 5' x1') with deep cracks in it.
BH Pond water gradually drains through the cracks. Does anybody
BH know how to repair these cracks and make the pond waterproof
BH again?

Drain and dry the area.

Apply PVA (mixed 4-1 water/pva), let it dry.

Patch with 3-1 sand/cement with PVA added.

Couple of coats of pva over the top when it's dried.

If they're hairline cracks, use bitumastic emulsion or any other
rubbery sealant that's good for concrete.

Of course, this won't last very long. The big problem is whatever's
caused those cracks to appear, probably soil being washed out from the
footings. Could also be due to ice, bad concreting, insufficient
concrete, lack of proper reinforcement.

Guess you've learned the main drawback of concrete ponds. I use
concrete a fair bit, but I also line with butyl first. The only real
solution is to rip the whole thing out and re-do it.