Old 25-07-2003, 10:23 AM
Toni

Default So when does the algae show up?

" wrote in message
Now when you you say you use the whole SeaChem line, does this include
Excel? While not being CO2, you would be adding Carbon enrichment to
the tank and ampliying the growth rates a fair amount.

Yes, I use Excel daily.

It all gets down to your goal of what you want out of it.
Using CO2 is not about speed of growth for me but rather quality.
The species of plants I tend to keep do much better with CO2. But the
list you have will all do well without it.

That's all I am after- at this stage anyway.
As my knowledge of aquatic plants increases I am sure that the desire to
keep more difficult species will force me to rethink my methods. For the
time this plant list suits me fine.

I'll tell you this, my dosing and CO2 routine, so called high tech is
as easy as yours with the SeaChem products. If you dose 2-3x a week I
got you beat. My CO2 require little upkeep and is around 8-15$ a year
to run 160 gal worth of tank. Fert's run about 10$ a year, less if I
used Plantex only, around 4$ a year then. So for about 20$ a year, I
run this so called high tech tank.

Well- I dose daily.... probably over $20 *per month* g.
I know I spend more $$ this way but for the time being it suits me.

I'm not trying to convince you to use CO2, far from it, but I am
pointing out it's not difficult to do nor that much work as many would
have you believe.

I know- you've been very patient with me.
Some day I will probably make the leap to CO2, but for me now this works.
I have a beautiful aquarium without any (knock wood) algae problems.
My routine is easy and the results surpassed my expectations.

I am having fun with my planted aquarium- and it makes me very happy.
This counts as success for me!

--
Toni
http://www.cearbhaill.com/aquarium.htm