Old 25-07-2003, 04:02 PM

Default So when does the algae show up?

Now when you you say you use the whole SeaChem line, does this include
Excel? While not being CO2, you would be adding Carbon enrichment to
the tank and ampliying the growth rates a fair amount.

Yes, I use Excel daily.

This plus low light(instead of hundred's of watts of PC lighting),
lots of fast growing plants will limit algae growth _very_
effectively. More than many people know or realize.

It all gets down to your goal of what you want out of it.
Using CO2 is not about speed of growth for me but rather quality.
The species of plants I tend to keep do much better with CO2. But the
list you have will all do well without it.

I am having fun with my planted aquarium- and it makes me very happy.
This counts as success for me!

Certainly and you are doing it with less light meaning your getting
everything out of that little bit you are adding. The Excel works very
well at 1.2- to a little less than 2w/gal which is a good starters
range for plants.

You have a good plan for this tank. Stick with it. The pruning and
other parts will gain you experience.

A plant that does well in this lighting range is that Pearl grass,
especially the 2 leaf per node type. It would look nice in the tank if
you can find some.
Pretty easy plant to grow.

Regards,
Tom Barr