Old 26-07-2003, 04:02 PM
LeighMo

Default Good thread algae eater for 15 gallon tank with live plants

that long without losing my plants. I've had my filter running in my
friend's tank for 1 week and I will put it in my tank today, so hopefully
the filter will be full of bacteria. Will that allow me to add an algae
eater right away?

It should. In fact, you should put something in the tank, or the bacteria in
the filter will starve to death.

Otos can eat algae off small leaves. Might be worth keeping a few of them.

Snails are also a good choice. P. bridgesii can clean algae off the most
delicate leaves. They can float, filling their lungs with air. They will also
pull plants down to eat algae off them, like a person might pull a tree branch
down in order to pick fruit off of it. They don't damage even the most
delicate of plants, IME.

However, are you sure you have enough light for the plants you have? How much
light do you have, and what kind of plants are you trying to keep?

Leigh