Old 26-07-2003, 05:04 PM
Michael

Default Good thread algae eater for 15 gallon tank with live plants

It should. In fact, you should put something in the tank, or the bacteria
in
the filter will starve to death.

It's weird because on the net the general consensus is to add fish right
away but in France the golden rule is to wait 1 month. Three different LSF
have told me that. This isn't the only thing they do differently in France.
Anyway I asked the my favorite LSF what to do and he suggested two
shrimps. I didn't even know what they were, but it was all he had so I took
them. He claimed they were great for algae. Well I just looked up the
common name from the receipt and I was pleasantly suprised to find that I
bought Caridina japonica - Amano Shrimp! I guess I got lucky on that one.

However, are you sure you have enough light for the plants you have? How

much
light do you have, and what kind of plants are you trying to keep?

This is a big potential problem. I have a 15 watt Grolux. I know I should
have 30 watts but the aquarium was given to me and it only has a place for
one bulb. I've asked the LSF and they said just to pick plants that do well
in low light. I read that in a book as well. The plants I have were given
to me as well and I don't think they're exactly low light but they were free
(his trimmings) so I figured I'd try. I also thought about adding CO2 to
see if that helps the plants.

Thanks for the confirmation on the snail and the Ottos. I'll add those next
if it continues.

Michael