Old 27-07-2003, 08:23 AM
D&M

Default amazon sword sizing

Your 15-0-0 provides potassium and, I suppose, iron and trace elements.

I use "Plant-Gro"
-0.15% nitogen
-0.26% iron
-0.05% manganese
-0.003% zinc
-0.0005% boron
-0.0005% copper
-0.0007% molybdate

treatment is 5ml/10g... no instruction on how often to add, so I add every
couple weeks after I do a 25% water change.

What is your tank size?

90g

What is the lighting wattage?

42" 40w Power-Glo Flourescent.

What are the other plants?

No idea what the names of the other plants are, here's a pictu

http://www.execulink.com/~sharp01/plants.jpg

The fern like one I've called "fish food". Can't keep it alive in the tank,
all the fish eat it. Put in all the suplements (wafers, etc.) I want, but
the fish prefer the real thing.

What's labelled in the picture as an amazon is not the amazons I'm working
with. It's actually some other type of sword I bought a while back that
resembles an amazon, but slimmer leaves, sold under a different name as
well.

If you have names for the other plants, feel free to fill in the blanks. I'm
just starting to get into aquaplants, really adds to the appearance of the
tank, and would love to learn about the plants I keep.

What sort of substrate is in there?

I'm still using designer gravel, haven't grown up enough to move to sand (to
lazy to change over is more like it)

What is the fish load?

4 med. bala's, 12 tiger barbs (reg&greeny's), 1 pim. cat, 8 loaches (3
clowns, 2 yoyo's, 2 zebra, 1 "tiger"), 7 assorted cory's (pandas, peppered,
albino), 7 otos, 1 clown pleco, 4 serpae tetras

I don't suppose you are injecting CO2?

Not yet, looking into a good system as I got fairly high pH, kill two birds
with one stone, so to say.

What I'd really like to know is how to make the "Big" leaves like the parent
amazon plants have. Do I have to prune some of the leaves off to encourage
larger ones to grow?